White LionAudley Road
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Half-timbered Tudor, thatched inn, dating from 1614 is a veritable time-capsule. With open fires, beams, settles and scrubbed tables, it provides the perfect setting for a quiet pint. Its name derives from the crest of the Crewe family, the silver lion. The building faces the elevated prospect of St. Bertoline's church, the scene of a Royalist massacre in the Civil war. Ale was sold here by the Parish Clerks as early as the 16th century, when it was known as the Clerk's Cottage. Having obeyed the injunction to enter by the "other door", you find yourself in a small room looking much as it has done for hundreds of years. To the left, down a step is in the quarry-tiled bar where the beams are low enough to catch unwary tall visitors. Don't miss the tiny back room with its stove. Although the White Lion can be busy, especially when lunch is being taken, it has its peaceful spells. Two outdoor drinking areas overlook a small stream, the Wulvern (Or Wulvarn Brook, named in memory of the last wolf in England, supposedly killed in Barthomley Wood), a tributary of the Valley Brook, in the centre of this quiet and attractive village. Was a Burtonwood owned pub for many years until Marston's bought most of the Burtonwood Brewery estate in 2005. Bring and exchange bookcase.