Shroppie FlyAudlem Wharf, Shropshire street
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Opened in early 1975, converted from a canal warehouse, built in 1916, once owned by the Liverpool & Birmingham Canal Company. Many of the original 1975 fittings and memorabilia, including a rare wall size waterways map, disappeared over the years as the pub business went through various financial upheavals. Open plan with three distinct indoor drinking areas. The [non-working] crane outside came from the former Audlem station goods-yard, on the Nantwich-Market Drayton-Wellington branch of the Great Western, which closed in 1967. Part of the "famous bar" is supposedly a flyboat bow, but is actually part of a wooden BCN 'Joey' or dayboat. Closed for a few months in 2013, with an uncertain future, it re-opened on 11th November 2013 after a complete refurbishment, which has made the interior much lighter. Reopened on 15th January 2019 following a short closure.