Cotton ArmsCholmondley Road
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Takes its name from Sir Stapleton Cotton, 1st Viscount Combermere 1773-1865, who served with the Duke of Wellington in the Peninsular War. He also besieged and took Baratpur [Bhurtpore] Fort India, in 1826. Sir Stapleton owned the land on which this pub was built and in 1836 the tenant was a Mr. John Stant. [The Salamanca, now a private house, and the Bhurtpore, all in Wrenbury, are named after battles in which Sir Stapleton was involved]. A very popular pub with canal users, walkers and cyclists and also has its own bowling green and a very large caravan/camping field. Became a free house in October 2014 following purchase of freehold from Oxford Inns. Beer range extended from five to seven with Salopian, Marston's, Beartown, Weetwood and Three Tuns appearing regularly. Two from Sharp's are regulars.