Lower ChequerCrown Bank/Hawk Street
See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
Grade II listed building dating from 1570, many internal alterations and restorations by various breweries over the years. Once known as the Church Inn, it was a staging post for the long distance coaches that travelled between the midlands and Manchester in the 18th and 19th centuries. The cellar still has the stabling for the coach horses and a mounting block just outside the cellar entrance on the street level. Was once an Ind Coope & Allsops pub. Closed at end of April/early May 2014 for a complete refurbishment by Joule's Brewery of Market Drayton, who bought it from previous small pubco owners in late 2013. Re-opened August 7th 2014, with total change of beers on offer. Five handpumps (in what was the public bar) and two more in the other room. Very tastefully refurbished using a range of wood paneling on the walls. Floors that once were carpeted are now restored to their original surfaces of wood and tiles. Walls have added glass cases containing taxidermy, plus some interesting animal 'Trophy' heads, reminiscent of the Leopard in Nantwich. Two real fires.